Sunday, February 25, 2018

Creating a Stone Guard

The last big challenge of our rebuild was the rock guard.  I had looked at many photos but was not satisfied with what I saw or did not think I could build it and make it look good.

I was exploring when I discovered 80/20 Inc, a company that calls themselves an "Industrial Erector Set".  https://www.8020.net/shop

I ended up using their product called "Quick Frame"  https://8020.net/freetextsearch/search/result/?keyword=quick+frame

Very easy build -- I went to a window shop and bought two pieces of Lexan.  I bought the hinges from a marine supply company.

Cost:

Frame and gasket  $100.00
Lean   $90.00
Hinges (3)  $40.00

Here are some images of the build....  I think it turned out pretty good



Frame with plastic pieces that hold it together, very sturdy.














Big Hint -- you must make a miter cut to fit the pieces together, took me a bit to figure that out and the directions are well hidden in the 80/20 website.  I used a hacksaw to make the cut.





Finished frame




Gasket from 80/20 held the Lexan tight, worked well.




Decided to use three marine hinges, worried that the trailer might not hold it.








What can I say, Butyl tape!





Installed





Will add some rubber bumpers so it doesn't hit the window.

.



Thats, it, if I can help, just let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment